Welcome to my cardboard craft blog

Whether you are just plain bored or simply too broke to purchase other materials; cardboard is free! Cardboard is such a versitile craft medium that you can make just about anything from it. All you need is a little knowledge about different construction techniques to ignite your own art passion for cardboard. This blog is intended to show the construction techniques I use in my own cardboard crafts. When you learn the secrets of creating strength with cardboard you can create whatever you desire. From simple items like picture frames to extremely large pieces of usable furniture; it will all be possible. Travel along with me as I show you the secrets hidden within the cardboard. Go green or save a tree or just to keep it out of a landfill.... whatever your choice of phrases.... start creating your own cardboard art. If you find this blog helpful, please recommend it to your friends.

If you are new to this blog it's best to read the numbered labels first. ie: 1 - What do you see? 2 - Tools you need etc.

In those labels you will find the basic information you need to get started making your own cardboard furniture and crafts.



Sunday, July 25, 2010

Breakfast bar, section 2 - step one

I've done all I can to section one of the breakfast bar until the other two sections are made.  I can work on covering it completely with paper and wall paper paste but that's about it.

I'm starting on the second section using a different technique as a demonstration how you can make furniture this way too. 

I start by cutting three identical sized boards.  These are the front, middle, and back of this section.  We won't need a top, bottom, or sides until later. 



I lay two pieces aside while I work on what will be the front piece.  I draw out what I want the piece to look like from the front when finished.  It will have two open sections that I call shelves.  Not drawers this time, just shelves.  I have specific appliance storage in mind for this section.  You see how I've drawn what will be the outside walls?  The walls will be 1 inch thick just like the first section I did. 




I cut out the opening pieces to form the outline of my cabinet forming the shelve areas.   I used my utility knife and a plastic ruler to stay straight.



I get a second piece that I cut earlier and lay this cut one on top.  Using a few small pieces of the kraft tape I secure it in place.


I trace the openings onto the bottom piece.  Because I had taped it secure, the tracing is accurate.  This is important.



I remove the piece I traced and cut the openings on the second piece.  Now I have two idential pieces which will be the front facing and the middle strength section.  For now, we won't need the third piece.  It will be the back and doesn't need any cutting. 



Now I'm ready for step two.  R U?


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails