Welcome to my cardboard craft blog

Whether you are just plain bored or simply too broke to purchase other materials; cardboard is free! Cardboard is such a versitile craft medium that you can make just about anything from it. All you need is a little knowledge about different construction techniques to ignite your own art passion for cardboard. This blog is intended to show the construction techniques I use in my own cardboard crafts. When you learn the secrets of creating strength with cardboard you can create whatever you desire. From simple items like picture frames to extremely large pieces of usable furniture; it will all be possible. Travel along with me as I show you the secrets hidden within the cardboard. Go green or save a tree or just to keep it out of a landfill.... whatever your choice of phrases.... start creating your own cardboard art. If you find this blog helpful, please recommend it to your friends.

If you are new to this blog it's best to read the numbered labels first. ie: 1 - What do you see? 2 - Tools you need etc.

In those labels you will find the basic information you need to get started making your own cardboard furniture and crafts.



Sunday, June 27, 2010

Breakfast bar - step 3

Remember where we left off with step 2?  Now I'm going to make the first shelf.  I measure from side wall to side wall (above the shelf wall) and front to back. The shelf should set comfortably on top of the struts when finished.  I need two cardboard pieces the same size.  A top and a bottom to close up the struts inside the shelf.




I also needed a bunch of struts for the inside of the shelf.  I cut these the length of the shelf  front to back which is 18 inches.  I didn't want the shelf to be very thick either so I cut them 1/2 inch wide.  Please notice that the flutes on these go side to side instead of lengthwise.  Why?  Because they will be placed in horizontal position within the shelf and the flutes must go top to bottom for strength. 
 



Here's what I mean.  Here I have them glued in place on the bottom part of the shelf.  These struts are 1/4 inch shorter than the bottom piece.  I'll show you why in a minute.  Next take the second large piece and glue it on top of these struts then put the whole shelf in place in the unit. 




  It should fit snug.  If it doesn't, don't worry about it.  The shelf won't go anywhere after construction. 




This is why the struts were about a quarter inch shorter than the top and bottom piece.  I want to add a piece to close the end facing the outside.  This is not necessary on the sides next to the walls.  Only on the side where it will show.




I tape the inside joins then sand the front edge and tape it.   


 


I'm going to add another shelf so I guess it's time to go to step 4.  You ready?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails