Welcome to my cardboard craft blog

Whether you are just plain bored or simply too broke to purchase other materials; cardboard is free! Cardboard is such a versitile craft medium that you can make just about anything from it. All you need is a little knowledge about different construction techniques to ignite your own art passion for cardboard. This blog is intended to show the construction techniques I use in my own cardboard crafts. When you learn the secrets of creating strength with cardboard you can create whatever you desire. From simple items like picture frames to extremely large pieces of usable furniture; it will all be possible. Travel along with me as I show you the secrets hidden within the cardboard. Go green or save a tree or just to keep it out of a landfill.... whatever your choice of phrases.... start creating your own cardboard art. If you find this blog helpful, please recommend it to your friends.

If you are new to this blog it's best to read the numbered labels first. ie: 1 - What do you see? 2 - Tools you need etc.

In those labels you will find the basic information you need to get started making your own cardboard furniture and crafts.



Monday, June 28, 2010

Breakfast bar - step 4

Are you able to follow the steps ok?  If not, please post a comment and I'll try to explain it better.

I'm now ready to add the next shelf.  This one will be 18 inches above the first one.  I lay the unit on it's back so it will be easier to glue the struts.  The struts I cut are 18 X 1 inch, with the flutes running lengthwise.   Here I have the box laying on it's back.



I glue the struts along the back wall, touching the previous shelf for alignment.  They look like this.  I also used regular white glue instead of the glue gun.  I wasn't in a rush as I was before.




I cut a wall section to fit this area, before I glue the side wall struts.  I'm working on this section only for now.  I glue the wall piece on top of the struts and weight it down to dry for a couple of hours.  Then I tape the joins.




It now looks like this.





I repeat this same step for one side wall and tape the joins.





I repeat for the other side wall and tape it too.  Notice the strut that is at the edge of the outside?  This is piece is important.  It becomes the face of the wall section when seen from the front. 




The shelf walls on this went much faster than the first one except for the drying.   Here it is setting upright again.  You can see I've started sanding and taping the edges of the walls.




I'm ready to add the shelf part on top of the just added walls.  You ready for step 5?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails