Welcome to my cardboard craft blog

Whether you are just plain bored or simply too broke to purchase other materials; cardboard is free! Cardboard is such a versitile craft medium that you can make just about anything from it. All you need is a little knowledge about different construction techniques to ignite your own art passion for cardboard. This blog is intended to show the construction techniques I use in my own cardboard crafts. When you learn the secrets of creating strength with cardboard you can create whatever you desire. From simple items like picture frames to extremely large pieces of usable furniture; it will all be possible. Travel along with me as I show you the secrets hidden within the cardboard. Go green or save a tree or just to keep it out of a landfill.... whatever your choice of phrases.... start creating your own cardboard art. If you find this blog helpful, please recommend it to your friends.

If you are new to this blog it's best to read the numbered labels first. ie: 1 - What do you see? 2 - Tools you need etc.

In those labels you will find the basic information you need to get started making your own cardboard furniture and crafts.



Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Breakfast bar - step 6

I have said that if I ever got new kitchen base cabinets they would have drawers instead of just shelves.  Well heck, I ask myself, why am I making shelves for my breakfast bar instead of drawers like I prefer?  I couldn't find a reason, so I decided to make drawers.  Here's the first one. 




What I have done is create a simple box.  No inside walls, struts, or top.  This drawer is only 4 inches deep and won't store anything heavy so it has only a single bottom piece.  Most drawers don't need heavy duty walls with struts but the bottom should stronger if you plan to store anything heavy in it.  Cardboard bends with weight so keep that in mind when creating drawers.

I'm not making a front piece for the drawer yet either.  I still haven't decided on an outside finish for my breakfast bar.   I'm leaving the drawers plain until the very end.  Here is how the drawer looks in the unit.




Yes, it is slightly smaller than the area it fits.  I learned a long time ago that cardboard drawers should be just a bit smaller so they open and close easier. If you look at the drawers in a wood cabinet or in a dresser you will see that those are smaller than the opening.  It's the front facing of a drawer that hides the gap.

I'm planning on doing the drawer facings when I decide how I want the outside to look.  I haven't decided on a style.  I like ornate with scrollwork and carvings but my exsisting cabinets don't have that. 

Before going on to the next step, I'm going to sand all the joins and put water based tape (kraft tape) over all the exposed edges.  Including the top edge of the drawer.  There should be no flute edges showing anywhere. 

Ready for step 7?  

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails